Deuteronomy 6:5-9

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

social club or lifestyle?

I recently asked the question on fb, "How can you tell if a person is a Christian."

I got some of the expected answers, such as, "You will know them by their fruit." But what does that look like? What is this fruit that the Bible speaks of?

Another friend and I were talking about her mothers lifetime (around 50 years ago or so). She was explaining to me how committed families were then. They went to church every Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night. They were intimately involved in each others lives. However this is the generation that raised children that are NOT dedicated to church. These are the same people that fill the pews today, but are not willing to change things for the sake of Christ.

Today we have people that come to the church building on Sundays, but it's too much to worship Sunday nights. Wednesday's are just too busy for prayer. We have work, the children, school.... Some can't make it on Sunday mornings because they've had a hard week, they need some "rest."

Okay, so I am on another one of my little rants. Bare with me. I hope to clear things up in the following paragraphs.

I think we have made "church" into a social club, or something else added into our already busy life. We get excited because we pull off "successful" events like Awana, VBS, carnivals. But the excitement soon wears off, and follow up is the church's main problem. Instead I think church is a lifestyle. Sure you can have events, sure you can have church socials, but if you are not living as the church everyday then your relationship with Christ can be questioned.

1 Corinthians 4:1, "Let a man regard us in this manner, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. In this case, moreover, it is required of stewards that one be found trustworthy." That is in all areas of our life. When we go to a place of vocation, it is for Christ. (not for us or our financial gain) When we teach our children, it is for Christ, not for our popularity. When we serve our brothers and sisters, it is for Christ, not for our recognition. Our every breath, every moment here on earth is for Christ. We don't get to take a break, go on vacation, or rest from being a Christian.

This is one reason our family chooses to still go worship with the church when we are out of town. Worshiping corporately is important, sitting under the preaching and teaching of the Word of God is essential to our growth as believers. Paul states in Colossians 1:18 (in speaking of Christ) "He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything." Vs. 28-29 Paul says, "We proclaim Him, admonishing every man and teaching every man with all wisdom, so that we may present every man complete in Christ. For this purpose also I labor, striving according to His power, which mightily works within me."

I fail, I know I do. I am not diligently seeking the Lord in all things. I do not take advantage of each moment to tell someone about the grace of God that has so freed me. I am not patient. I get anxious. However, I have convictions. My heart aches just thinking about the times that I have failed in my walk with Christ. How much more could he have used me? So it is today that I press on. I am reminding myself, "Only one life will soon be past, only what's done for Christ will last."

I leave you with 2 Corinthians 13:5-11

5Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you--unless indeed you fail the test? 6But I trust that you will realize that we ourselves do not fail the test. 7Now we pray to God that you do no wrong; not that we ourselves may appear approved, but that you may do what is right, even though we may appear unapproved. 8For we can do nothing against the truth, but only for the truth. 9For we rejoice when we ourselves are weak but you are strong; this we also pray for, that you be made complete. 10For this reason I am writing these things while absent, so that when present I need not use severity, in accordance with the authority which the Lord gave me for building up and not for tearing down. 11Finally, brethren, rejoice, be made complete, be comforted, be like-minded, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you."

No comments: