Deuteronomy 6:5-9

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Answered prayers about labor


We never gave any details about the surgery, so I wanted to update you all and thank you for praying for us. We checked in the hospital Monday, May 3 at 6:30 am. For the next two hours they prepared me for surgery. (iv, listening to baby, doctor checking on me...) We were not very 'fond' of my nurse. I tried very hard to make small talk with her to get her to lighten up. Funny thing is Martie and I talked on the way to the hospital about being a "light" to the nurses and doctor. We discussed how we were the center of attention, and it was a great opportunity to show Jesus to those watching.

We went back for surgery at exactly 8:30. Surgery went great, and seemed to go faster than I remembered. I told the doctor about my concern with sickness after the surgery. I usually get VERY sick immediately following. They tried something different with me this time. (as they do every time) I was a little skeptical, but I knew many were praying. Praise God, I did not get sick! This was a blessing in so many ways. One because throwing up after your stomach has been cut open is NOT fun. Two because my nurse was not so friendly and would not let me nurse Carissa until I was "stable." In times past I've held my babies, nursed, given them to someone, thrown up, and then take them back. :) I just want my babies after I deliver. Lastly I'm thankful that I didn't get sick because we really had a weird circumstance in surgery with two of the nurses. I'm hoping Martie will blog the details. But in short it was about us taking Carissa to our room and not the nursery. I'm thankful for my husband standing his ground, but it was very awkward.

We stayed in the recovery room for a hour, and were then moved to the after care hall. We had many of the same nurses and hospital pediatricians. (whom we loved) It was nice getting to that room. That's when all the children were able to come in. Martie wrote down Carissa's name, weight, height on a piece of paper and folded it up VERY small. He handed it to one of our family members in the waiting room and called the children back. They walked in the room where Carissa and I were staring into each others eyes, and waited. Because she was wearing a yellow hat they still didn't know... boy or girl. I said come meet your sister Carissa Nicole. They all smiled and showered her with kisses. So below are some pictures from that moment.

The reason for her name. Carissa-beloved/grace; Nicole-victorious people Yes, we did have her name chosen before we got to the hospital. But we did decide the night before. :)

Thank you all for praying for us. I know that God honored your requests. I hope that we were that "light" that Jesus called us to be that day. I know that he gave us plenty of opportunities. :D
I am one blessed mama!

2 comments:

Sonya said...

Praise the Lord ! - we love you guys :-)

Kami said...

Wow, I hope Martie blogs the details later too!

Great pics!!