Deuteronomy 6:5-9

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Finally, a name! Only 4 more days to go!

You know I can't tell you all right away. I have to give a mini speech first. First, I know many of you think that we live a radical lifestyle. I mean who in the world wants more than 2-3 children, why would you want to teach your children at home, why would you want to eat, sleep, and breath "church"? I know, I have heard these things, people think we're weird. I admire my husband in so many ways, one because he doesn't care what anyone thinks. He truly lives his life to please God. When someone lives like that, their life is going to look weird. I on the other hand, aim to please. I have always been a people pleaser, wanting to fit in, wanting everyone's approval. Why???? I don't know why. I just know that I have always been this way. I am learning slowly. God has taken me out of my comfort zone, plenty of times. I find the more I pray to Him, and seek to live my life "sold out" to Him, He then takes me more and more out of my comfort zone. But, who am I pleasing? When I take these radical steps of faith, I feel like He is saying, "well done my good and faithful servant". I have learned to LOVE children, lots of children. I know that God has called me to stay at home with my children, teach them at home, and even have more children. WHAT!!!! I know I haven't even had this one, and I said it more children. Crazy, huh??? That's o.k.; I am learning to be o.k. with crazy. I have always had a passion for adoption, so we'll see what lays in store for our family. I'm just giving everyone a heads up, so when we make more "radical" decisions for God, please don't be surprised.

O.k. so the name… Well, when I was pregnant with Andrew I remember sitting in church one Sunday and Martie was preaching Acts 9:36-43. I remember listening to the story of Tabitha completely amazed. First, she is the only woman in the bible that is called "a disciple", and then she reminds me so much of the Proverbs 31 woman. She was "abounding with deeds of kindness". I knew right then I wanted to name a daughter after her. I told Martie, and he told me he had thought the same thing. This morning in my quiet time, I was reading Isaiah 49:1 and it says, "From the body of my mother He named me." I might me taking this out of context a little, however I feel like God laid that name on mine and Marties hearts. So her first name, "Tabitha". Like it, love it, hate it.... I just hope you will love her just the same. O.k. so the middle name. I do a bible study two times a month. For a while we went through the book of Ruth. If you have never read anything I challenge you to read the book of Ruth. Talk about "sold out" to God. She left her home, her family, sacrificed everything to be obedient to God. She is also thought to be the woman behind Proverbs 31. What more could we want for a daughter of ours? So, as ugly as you all might think, Tabitha Ruth Mangum will be our daughter’s name. I think her name is beautiful and I pray that we will raise her up to become what these women represented.

So, lastly I would challenge you all to read Acts 9:36-43, the whole book of Ruth, and Proverbs 31:10-31. Then give me your opinion. I hope that the Lord changes each of your minds as you see us trying to follow the Lord. I love you all!

12 comments:

Heather said...

For those of you who may not understand this post, we've had a lot of people plead with us not to name her this. I've even had some people to tell me how much they hate the name, and won't call her that. So maybe you can get a better understanding reading this.

~*~Kim~*~ said...

Yes, when you first mentioned the name "Tabitha", I also had puzzled thoughts. Too much television in the 70s, I guess.

With your explanation, it has become a beautiful name in my mind, the old perception is gone. And I've had the name Ruth in my mind for several weeks, so I have to say...Tabitha Ruth Mangum will be a beautiful person, just like the rest of your family. :)

Anonymous said...

name your baby anything you want
it reminds me of when martie was born and everyone kept saying (MARTIE HARVEY), and like faye would say what else goes with harvey. i think tabitha is cute.
i cant wait to see her come into this world, she is going to have the best parents i know of and a big sister and two little brothers that will adore her. i love you all.

Heather said...

Thanks for the comments.
Kim-you've been holding out, I didn't know you had a blog!!!

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL name and GREAT post. I do not think you are crazy... I think you have a beautiful heart that desires to follow after God.

S.E. Painter said...

next time just wait until you have the baby to reveal the name and then no one will have the guts to tell you that they don't like the name. The 'name' will be a beautiful sweet baby, a gift from the Lord, staring up at them...

great story about how you came up with the name, who can beat that? A lot better than searching aimlessly through a baby name book.

Heather said...

Sarah, thanks for the great comment. That is to funny. I'm glad to see your blog, maybe we can keep in touch now.

Sonya said...

James and I LOVE the name, we will be praying for your big day tomorrow. We hope we can meet your sweet girl soon.

Anonymous said...

I understand your reasoning but, I just don't believe our world should be limited by only those names mentioned in the bible.

Anonymous said...

Great name! Why would anyone NOT call her by the name that you, as the parents, give her? What are they going to call her?

In Christ, Laura

Heather said...

If you post anonymous, at the end of your post please type your name. Then hit the anonymous option. So as for the biblical names, no we don't have to name all of our children biblical names. We just truly like the person behind the name, and would love to raise our children up to serve the Lord and love Him just like these people. No different then if you were to name your child after a grandparent, president, movie star... Thanks for your comments, we are very excited about raising all of our children up in the Lord!

Anonymous said...

I think she is definitely a Tabitha! -Bea