Deuteronomy 6:5-9

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

Sunday, August 25, 2013

1st week of school

We made it! Whew! By mid week Aaliyah and Naomi weren't as excited about homeschooling as they were before. (Neither was I)  So Thursday and Friday I slacked off a bit. I slept in a little later, started school later, didn't finish all the subjects....(Gasp!) It was great! 

This is our 9th year teaching our children at home and I still struggle with trying to mimic the traditional school setting. After teaching Aaliyah and Naomi this week I was quickly reminded, we are different. We do school differently. It's okay. 

I still LOVE a schedule. I have to have a schedule. It gives me peace. Although I was more relaxed Thursday and Friday, I felt more organized and together Monday-Wednesday. So, next week we'll once again wake up at our "scheduled" time, do our chores, and start school work. If by Thursday, I need to (sleep in) loosen up, it's okay.

I do not want my children to hate school. One of our goals in home educating is to foster an environment where learning is fun! That doesn't mean there won't be tears. Because as we experienced this week, learning can also be hard. There are those moments where we must push through and then there are moments where we must take a break. 

Here are a few pictures that I was able to capture one day in a very short period of time. 
Aaliyah working hard on her math drill sheet. By the end of the week she was able to finish this sheet in a faster time than the rest of the week and with no mistakes! She also made a 100 on her spelling test, wrote a paper about the Middle Ages, and memorized loads of new grammar.

Ethan loves the flash master. All the children work on math at the same time. I set him up with this for a bit while I get the others going. This is definitely one way to make math facts fun. Ethan made a 90 on his spelling test, finished his first cursive handwriting book, and memorized loads of new grammar.

Naomi made huge progress this week! My goal  is to build her confidence up so that she is motivated. Tonight I heard her tell someone excitedly, "I can read!" She also worked through some math worksheets, memorized many different sounds of letters, learned about the different biomes.... 

Oh my sweet perfectionist, Tabitha. She started "doing school" before she could talk. This is one ambitious little girl. Most of her life I've begged her to go play. There will be plenty of years to do school, I'd tell her. This just happened to be one of those days. She's crying in this picture because her number eight wasn't perfect. Although, it was perfect, especially for a 5 year old. She wrote it, erased, rewrote, erased and rewrote... 10 minutes later, she was all smiles. You can see those pictures further down. Tabitha also learned several sounds for letters, made words with letters, did several pages in her Explode the Code book (which she is in book 2.) I started those books with her a couple of years ago when she was begging for work. She flew through books A, B, 1, 1 1/2, and now 2!

Carissa is much like Tabitha. She really wants to do school. She sees the others worksheets and wants "Papers like theirs." I have worked hard to keep up with her. She's had several books read to her, talked about colors, counted, sorted counting bears...

A smiley, happy Naomi!

.....and there's Andrew. Oh wait! Where is Andrew???

There he is! I need to frame this picture because he didn't stay in this seat for long. Andrew had a great day, Tuesday.  He struggled the rest of the days. Andrew does school the best in forts, under pillows, outside, or on my lap. We only did one of those ways this week. He and I placed pillows all around us and on top of us while we read Language Lessons. It was great. However, we have to figure out a way to motivate this boy when he's out of the fort or the pillows. Oh, Andrew....

These are the pictures I was telling you about. Literally 10 minutes after the tears. Note the perfectly written 8.


Take a picture of me now, Mom! (runny nose and all)

My class. 

Ethan proud of his work.

The Lord is so good and gracious to me. Yes, this week was hard. He showed me my heart. He showed me my struggles. He showed me how much I need Him.

Philippians 1:6 "For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus."

Hebrews 13:20-21 "Now the God of peace, who brought up from the dead the great Shepherd of the sheep through the blood of the eternal covenant, even Jesus our Lord, equip you (me) in every good thing to do His will, working in us that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever and ever."


3 comments:

Kelly Frazier said...

You are the best, Heather!

Heather said...

Thank you Kelly. I learned from the best. ;-)

In Everything said...

Awesome!!! Love all the different personalities and love you keeping it real:)