Deuteronomy 6:5-9

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

Friday, July 26, 2013

11 years...

Warning: Lot's of mushy, lovey, dovey stuff...

That's right 11 years ago I said, "I do" to my best friend. I was so smitten by him. I look back at our wedding video and laugh. I could not stop smiling. We looked so much younger. We had a lot to learn. (And still do)

I must share a little of our story. When I first met Martie, I was very driven. I was doing well in my career. I had Taylor, who was 2 at the time, and I was okay doing things by myself. However, I wanted to be married. I desired a relationship that would last. From the first time I saw Martie, I told my best friend, Brandy, that, "I was going to marry him." She of course laughed.

Then there was the first phone conversation. This is when I questioned my thoughts of marrying him. He informed me that he didn't want to be married, he never saw himself with kids, and he didn't really see life beyond 25. At least he was honest. That was about the only good thing that came from that conversation. Regardless, I was still very attracted to him and decided to pursue a relationship.

11 years and 8 children later, I am just as smitten. Our relationship in itself is proof there is a God. Looking back where we both were, and seeing where we are now is a miracle. I still love holding my husband's hand and looking into his eyes. There's so much more to it than on the day we were married. Our love is even stronger, it's grown deeper, and it's built on something that can not be destroyed.

Our rock, the foundation of our marriage is Jesus. It's only because of the grace which he has lavished upon us, that we can have a marriage as strong as ours. Martie and I surrendered our lives to Jesus before we were married. About 6 months before our wedding we really started living our faith out. We trusted in Jesus in a very different way. Being a Christ follower started changing the way we thought, the way we walked, our decisions... The day of our ceremony we vowed to love one another as Christ loves the church. Martie promised to love me in a way that mirrored the way Jesus loved me. I vowed to trust him, follow him, serve him. I took our vows very seriously then and I cherish them today. Our foundation has not changed. We know and cling to Him, the One who has all power and authority in this ever changing world.

Martie,
Thank you for the best years of my life! Today and always, I honor you. I love you. Thank you for daily laying your life down for me. I truly praise God for this gift of marriage. You are my very best friend and you always make me laugh. You understand me and are patient. I promise to trust you in the decisions of life. Thank you for listening to me and taking all my concerns to heart. I pray that our love for the Lord and one another continues to grow and that He would use us greatly on this earth.
Faithfully and forever yours,
Heather







No comments: