Deuteronomy 6:5-9

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Intolerable behaviors....

Our social worker came today for our last "Official" home visit. She looked through the house and talked with all the children. It was a very nice and encouraging visit. During the time here she asked a very good question that left me thinking,
"What behaviors would you say were intolerable?"
I don't think Martie and I fully understood what she was wanting at first. I said that we would expect all behaviors, while Martie said sexual abuse. Then she clarified. "What behaviors would we not accept in our home." To state it more bluntly, what behaviors would you send a child back for doing?

We both assured her that we expect the child/children that come into our home to have issues. (Physical, sexual, emotional..) Sin is sin. These children have lived with or been exposed to most of it. Most of them don't know what unconditional love is and they are going to push and test just to see if we "Pass the test." There will be a honeymoon period and then they/we will get comfortable. We will have to trust in the Lord EVERY STEP OF THE WAY! 

Some children that are in the system now have been known to be fire starters, abuse animals, play with their feces, abuse sexually... I strongly believe these and other behaviors are a reflection of what lies within the heart.  I am convinced the real problem is hidden there. Fortunately, we know the Great Physician, Jesus! He is a/the heart surgeon. 

There was a time in my own life where I did what was only pleasing in my own eyes, without concern for others. Boy, am I glad that Jesus tolerated my behaviors while preforming heart surgery on me. Did He like my decisions, was He happy with the way I was living my life? NO! But He was patient, loving, kind, compassionate, humble, and forgiving. He opened my eyes to my need for Him. He performed open heart surgery on me. He took my cold and hard heart and changed it into something much greater than I could ever imagine. 

Will parenting a child with a broken past and intolerable behaviors make me want to quit? Maybe. But I hope and pray that I ALWAYS remember the cross. I hope I never forget how much of my own sin that He took upon the cross. Then, just maybe, I'll be patient, loving, kind, compassionate, humble, and forgiving just as He. 

No comments: