Deuteronomy 6:5-9

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

Saturday, March 12, 2016

What I've learned (and am still learning) in the past 11 years of home educating

1st- It's not really school. School is a place you go. I know we say homeschool or home school, but we're really just teaching from home, or home educating.

2nd- I only assign my kids a grade because that's what the rest of America does. I could care less if they were in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grade.

3rd- I'm learning to NOT say, "They're behind in...." or "They're ahead in...." Once again this is just a way to compare our children to other children.

4th- Bible first, everything else second.

5th- Without God, I can't do it.

6th- I cannot let a curriculum, community, friends, or family become my idol. I work to please God, and Him alone.

7th- Sometimes the best way to encourage another family, is by not saying anything at all. Your ways, may not be their ways.

8th- It's exhausting!

9th- It's self revealing! Lord, how I need You!

10th- There's a lot of curriculum out there. Most of the time you need less of it, and instead more dedication to a couple of them.

11th- I will drive the curriculum, the curriculum will NOT drive me.

12th- My children's souls are more important than that math lesson.

13th- Playing is learning

14th- Character development is a subject

15th- It is imperative that my hubby and I are on the same page. Even if he doesn't understand every book or subject we've invested in, he still supports us.

16th- We're over socialized. Seriously, it's okay to not go anywhere, not meet up with anyone, lock your doors, cuddle on the couch, and just be together.

17th- My house is never going to look the way I imagine it.

18th- Home economics is ALSO a subject. (see #17)

19th- My goals have changed a little over the years. Besides wanting their affections to be towards Christ, I want them to be passionate about sharing God's Word, to be hard workers, responsible, self learners, lovers of books and information, able to argue well and respectfully, able to thrive in a crooked and depraved world.

20th- I can do it. Well, not me, but CHRIST who lives in me! Taylor is graduating next month. Her diploma, cap, and gown has been ordered. Some days I wonder if anyone will take us seriously. Other days I look to the heavens and thank God for what HE has done through our home education journey.
 





 

 

 
 

 












1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen and amen to every single point! ❤️ (This is Jacob's mom!)