Deuteronomy 6:5-9

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

Friday, December 19, 2014

15 years ago

December 19, 1999

I went to a Christmas party with a friend. Later we decided to head downtown Chapel Hill and dance the night away at Tree House. That's where I saw "Him." Yes, "Him." Corny, I know. I looked at my friend Brandy and said, "That is going to be my husband." Psycho? Probably. He had "The look," he could dance, and his eyes....(no depth there people) So we danced, and danced, and danced. We eventually exchanged numbers. (Something I've never done at the club, just sayin') I waited for three days for the call, which never came.

I eventually paged him, yep it was when pagers were cool. He eventually called me back. That was the beginning of many conversations. One conversation we had was Christmas night. I wanted to get to know him on a deeper level, you know to see if he really was the one. That was an awkward conversation. He communicated to me that he didn't want to be married, didn't want any children, and really couldn't see life beyond 25. Wow! That was encouraging! Just what I was looking for in a husband. (insert sarcasm)

So, I continued to pursue. We began to hang out more. I was more and more convinced that I wanted a relationship with him. Graciously, he even came to church with me a couple of times. Both times he seemed uninterested and annoyed. That was a huge flag. At that point in my life I wanted a husband, but I wanted a Christian husband. I was trying to get my life together. However, I knew only a few Christians. No one reached out to encourage me, teach me, or model Christ to me. So, I did everything many things wrong.

I finally asked him, "Do you have a problem with God?" He said no, that he just didn't like my church. See he was brought up in a traditional Southern Baptist Church. My nondenominational, pants wearing, drums playing church caused him to go into major culture shock. We agreed to start searching for a church together.

We eventually found Cresset. The pastor faithfully preached the Word, and we began to grow in our knowledge and understanding. Long story short, we both dedicated our life to following the Lord. We were married in 2002, Martie started seminary shortly after.

I say all this to show you God's grace, and how magnificent it's been in our lives. I try to remember all that He's brought us through. The days that I feel like I'm a total failure, which is most days. I KNOW His grace is sufficient. He rescued this poor, insecure, selfish girl, His patience is unbelievable. His loves reaches to the depths of my wicked heart that I didn't know could be reached. What God has done in me and Martie is truly a miracle. One that I'm thankful for each and everyday.

So today I remember 15 years ago, when I first met the love of my life. No, he wasn't perfect, and neither was I. We loved ourselves far more than we loved Jesus. A relationship which seemed impossible in the beginning, was made possible by the pure GRACE of God.

Thank you Lord, for my husband. Thank you for allowing me to meet him in the most unfortunate place. Thank you for your patience and your grace in our lives. May we continue to grow in our knowledge and understanding of you. May You grant us wisdom as we seek to honor you each day.


1 comment:

JJ said...

Congrats guys! It's so great to see how God has worked in your lives.