Deuteronomy 6:5-9

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

Thursday, June 12, 2014

God is gracious!

This weekend is one of so many emotions.

So much good, so much sad.

God is gracious.

Last year, Thursday, June 13, 2013, I was sitting in Essentials training, in Cary. Martie was at Jason's Deli, meeting with a pastor. Taylor was at home with the children. It was around 2:00 and I got the text.."Martie needs to get here, it's not going to be long..."

Rainey, one of Martie's best friends, had been battling cancer for almost one year. He was then at the hospice center in Durham. A week earlier, we celebrated Rainey and his life. The hospice center was nice enough to let his church family and friends come and have an amazing time of worship. It was an evening that I'll never forget.

But now that day, Thursday, June 13 Rainey was in his final hours on this earth. Our heart literally broke. I called Martie, and he immediately left his meeting. After being in the car for about 2 minutes, he received a call. It was Deidre, our social worker. She had already told us about the girls and we had agreed to get them on Friday for the weekend. She wanted to know if she could bring them early, like in 2 hours. Because his mind was in a billion places, he stuttered, mumbled, said a few ums and ahs, and then said, "Of course!"

Martie calls me, I panic, and then I call home. I left my training in Cary and raced home. On the way, my mind was all over the place. My husbands heart was breaking, Rainey's other friends and family members hearts were breaking, and we were about to meet two girls that could possibly become our daughters!

My good friend Stephanie beat me to my house and played a game with the children. Everytime they cleaned something, they got a little plastic duck. It worked people! My house was spotless in about an hour! I started dinner and the wait began.

Because it was Thursday night, my dad, step mom, and step sister were all coming over for dinner. I debated whether or not to cancel but I couldn't decide. So, I didn't. We had our regurally scheduled "Wright night." It was pouring raining that night. The wind was horrific. My mind went from Martie to the girls. I paced and panicked for what seemed forever.

Martie finally got home, and before the girls arrived. They were running late. God's providence. Martie and I talked for a minute or so, and on went his game face. Somehow through all his pain, he was able that night to totally mask it all and press on.

The girls finally got here. They were grinning from ear to ear. Taylor showed them around the house as we got some instructions from Deidre. We ate dinner and then had smoothies for dessert. Everyone left and we started to tuck the children in bed. Dasiyer (Aaliyah) and Shyana (Naomi) shared a room that first night. Tabitha also slept with them. It was so nice tucking the girls in and praying with them.

Then it was quite. For the next several hours, my husband, the strong one, just broke. I hated that night. I hated seeing him hurt. I hated the fact that Rainey was dying. I hated knowing Laura, his wife, was hurting. I hated the pain, the sickness, the sadness...

Rainey passed that next day, Friday June 14th.

That also happened to be Father's Day weekend. My brother and his family surprised my dad with a visit from New Mexico. We had a big celebration at my mom's house because we were certain it would be my granddaddy's last Father's Day.

Because of God's providence, that weekend my girls got to meet my brother and his family. They also got to meet my grandaddy. That weekend was a whirlwind of emotions.

But God...

He is so good, He is so faithful, only He can truly comfort, only He can pick us up...

Wasn't it so cool and so like God to take a very sad and horrible weekend and bless us with 2 beautiful smiles to help us smile? Wasn't it like God to plan for my brother to be there the same weekend the girls were coming for a visit? Wasn't it like God to have my grandaddy meet and spend time with the girls before he passed?

Last year, Martie and I had to say, "See you later," to two very important people, my grandaddy and Rainey. Last year, God also gifted us with two very important people to love on for the rest of their lives.

God is so so gracious! To Him alone be the glory!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Heather....so sweet and so well said. Hugs to you!!