Deuteronomy 6:5-9

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Interruption of my normal happy posts about Christmas

So, it's that time of year again were I get totally stressed out. Yep, Christmas! Why do I get stressed out:
  1. The expectations that are placed on you by your children, family, church...
  2. The lack of funds to carry out these expectations.
  3. The lack of joy that is truly to be celebrated on Christmas day. Sure we're filled with happy emotions, but we're not overwhelmed by the fact that Christ was BORN! Which means we have a Savior to trust in for eternal life.
  4. The feeding into our already overindulged society and teaching our children to be just that. 
  5. The ungratefulness of children if they don't receive just what they wanted, forget the fact that some people just don't have the money.
  6. The debt that people go into just so they don't see the children have ungrateful attitudes. Instead of teaching them contentment. 
Okay, I could go on I'm sure but I won't. I have to admit, I'm guilty of all of these. My husband refuses to go in debt. (which I agree, and I don't overstep that) However I struggle because I like to buy for people. I love the excitement of my little ones as they rip open the paper to see that "perfect" gift. I love giving to my parents, my husbands parents, nephews, nieces, extended family....

Then there's an even bigger issue this Christmas. One which I am totally torn on. Christmas day is on Sunday. My husband really wants to worship corporately with the church. (however he knows that probably no one will come) Understandably people want to be with their families on Christmas day. I'm sure many will worship the Lord in their own homes. (many/most will not) The scriptures point us to gather corporately for worship. So do we make exceptions for holidays, like Christmas. Why are the churches filled on Easter when we celebrate the Lord's death and resurrection, but no one wants to attend when we celebrate His birth? These are just questions that I'm pondering. I am totally open for correction or explanation.

Every year I try to think of a creative way to celebrate Christmas. (with less gifts and more worship) However, I'm fighting "Goliath" on this one. I don't know anyone close to me that celebrates Christmas in a totally radical way. (less spending, less going, more sitting, more reflecting, more celebrating...)

As I am fighting my own desires to spend money (that we don't have), I am praying that my heart would be more directed at the Lord. I'm praying that He would help me to be content with not being able to give. I'm praying for my children's hearts as we approach this season when we're supposed to be celebrating the coming of our Lord and not the "season of giving/receiving." (although the world has tricked us into the latter) Praying for ways to help my children enjoy and look forward to Christmas without the anticipation or expectation of gifts. I'll let you know if I have some amazing revelation. ;-)

5 comments:

The Johnson Scoop said...

I know what you're feeling! Here's a post I wrote last year explaining our new Christmas tradition
http://johnsonscoop.blogspot.com/2010/11/our-first-christmas.html
Even though we're committed to this again this year (and forever as far as I can see), I still have to fight down some feelings of wanting to provide my girls with EVERYTHING they see and want. I was reminded again today though, as I was sitting in their room, of how much they have that they hardly ever even play with (some of which they begged long and hard for!). Our most special part of Christmas last year though was picking out Jesus' presents, and the girls have talked about doing it again all year long.

S.E. Painter said...

thanks for writing my post for me. whew.

i completely relate.

i think we way we are raised also complicates things. jason was raised with Christmas morning looking like Toy R Us exploded in his den and I grew up with just a few things on Christmas morning.

I think he struggles even more than I do for his children to come down to WOW, even though we say otherwise and we want otherwise, on Christmas Eve when I'm wrapping presents he inevitably says, "Is this all?" Which creates pangs of guilt on both sides of the issue.

I know for us, we really try very hard to keep the magazines out of their hands and we don't visit stores very often. they don't watch tv w/ commercials so it helps the "i wants".

we tell them to give us three things that they want and we tell them every year that they might get one of those. we explain that Christmas presents are OUR gift to give, not a grocery list.

Now, because of Jason's mother's generosity our children get plenty, but if it were just Jason and I giving the gifts, they would seriously only get a few things.

As they get older it will only get more difficult.

I obviously cannot help b/c I'm right there with you, but I can empathize.

In Everything said...

I fight the same struggles internally! Trying to live within a budget and have a Christmas that is truly CHrist focused and NOT gift-focused goes against MOST of what is said and done at Christmas!!

I think us Moms having the right heart and sharing with our kids the truths of Christmas!!

I know something that has helped us a bit.... reading or watching Little House in the Prairie christmas stories.... they got soo little and were very thankful. And thinking about how we can give to others.

In Everything said...

Heather, I was thinking again about this post, this afternoon... it seems like when I'm in this frustrated mood and getting stressed at what I can't DO (a certain activity or giving many gifts)... I realize that I do not have a thankful heart. I need to step back and push myself to be thankful for what I DO have and CAN do!

ANyway, it doesn't solve any problems... but it always pulls me out of a "funky attitude".

Heather said...

Thanks Kelly! I have def. been in that "funky mood" today. I know it's sin and sometimes it takes it's toll on me. Praying that tomorrow will be better. :-)