Deuteronomy 6:5-9

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

Friday, March 7, 2008

Comments on a song...

I was driving home tonight from my in-laws, my hubby was at work and my children were asleep in the back seat. I was listening to the Casting Crowns c.d. I started listening to the song, “Somewhere in the Middle”. Now for the record I am not quoting scripture, I am not quoting God’s inspired, or God’s breathed word. This is just a song which is man written. However I think it had some great points. I’m just going to pull out some of the words and comment on them:

“Somewhere between the hot and the cold”-This line reminds me of Rev. 3:15
“Somewhere between the new and the old”
“Just how close can I get, Lord, to my surrender Cause I'm losing all control”-Wow, to completely surrender, does that mean we should give up all control??? Hmmm…
“The God we want and the God who is But will we trade our dreams for his Or are we caught in the middle”-This line is so true, and relevant for today. So many people try to make God into who they want instead of who He really is and what He really wants for their lives. (Is that postmodern???)
“Somewhere between my faith and my plans”

Anyway this song really got me thinking. I know that people struggle with being “somewhere in the middle”. Why is this? God calls us to be strong in our faith, completely trusting in Him. Are we afraid of losing control? I have been accused of this in the past. (for those who don’t know me, I’m a bit controlling) It’s hard not to be in complete control of things like our children, our finances, our relationships. Even when it comes to sin, I work so hard to achieve that “righteousness” that I only end up further away from God. Only He can make us righteous. Our righteousness on our own, is like filthy rags to Him. He wants to cleanse us, we cannot cleanse ourselves. Wasn't it His blood that cleansed us anyway? So why do we forget that? Why do we try to “help” God out? For me it is a control thing, I am learning to completely surrender. It is a daily thing. That is why it is so important to be in His word and in prayer. I challenge us all to surrender daily.
Luke 9:23-And He was saying to them all, " If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me.

Rev. 3:15-16-“I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth."

No comments: